Thursday, June 7, 2012

Out with the old


It seems every two years I get an urge to start something new.

I launched Auntie Cake near the end of 2008, after a trip to Portland to see my friend Sayward who was just beginning her blog, Bonzai Aphrodite.   I had also recently gone through a bad break-up and was looking for ways keep myself busy.  Maybe there's something about pain inspiring creativity, or something.

In May of 2010, when it seemed my graduate research and love life were majorly stalling out, I decided to take out my frustrations with online dating sites and started another blog, OkStoopid.  I lost interest after I started getting angry emails from guys I posted about.  (They figure out ways to find you! Mainly Google.)  Anyway, eventually I got a BF and all my relationship-related posts ended up converging into Auntie Cake.  (I still tag relevant posts under 'OkStoopid'.)

Another two years have passed.  It's 2012.  I have another project on the back burner.  Something totally different.  That's all I'm saying.  No spoilers.

In honor of my defunct OkStoopid, I urge you to read someone else's blog: OKcupid Enemies. It's hilarious and sad, as it is to be human.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Is "Banzai Aphrodite" a reference to something? My cousin also uses that moniker online. At first I got all excited thinking you two were somehow friends.

KK PhD said...

It's a Tom Waits reference. I think it's a line from one one his songs.

lemonjelly said...

OMG!! That okenemies site has both ruined and made my Monday.