Monday, February 2, 2009

Happiness is a sad song.

I've read enough about happiness to know that having a passion is the key to a happy existence. So for a long time I lamented I had no passions and was destined to a sad, meaningless life. Then one day it hit me. Music is my passion. It seemed too obvious. Yet it's the one thing I can always turn to, obsess over, get lost in. In the past several months I've been trying to embrace it. I got more involved with the radio station, started reading music blogs, started writing my own pseudo-music blog.

Last weekend I DJed for the first time in public.

It took place at a coffee-shop my friend works at. We didn't advertise so there weren't many people there, mostly friends. I called it a "listening party." My only equipment was my laptop and the house speakers. I put together the playlist ahead of time so I didn't have a lot to do once I got there besides plug it in and let it play. I think people were a little disappointed that I didn't actually "spin records." Who does that anymore?

I don't mean to downplay it. It was fun. I'd do it again. I'd love for it to be the start of something bigger. Yes, that's exciting. And yes, that makes me happy.

No comments: