Sunday, August 23, 2009
That's the whole trick, to define it. "What I really want." And then wait patiently, with your eyes open, so you recognize it when it finally comes. Maybe this step takes a long time. The universe has it's ways.
But when it comes, that thing you wanted, you're ready. And it's amazing. You want to write the universe a thank-you note. You take a picture of yourself a dirty mirror instead, like a memento in case you ever forget.
"Yes, I can be happy. I never thought I would, but I am. Please remember. It happened. I don't care if it doesn't last, the important thing is it exists. This is what it looks like." *click*
Thursday, August 20, 2009
I heard of The Papercuts through Stereogum, and instantly loved the song "Future Primitive." They're from San Fran, their new album "You Can Have What You Want" is great. I've played it on my show a few times. I'd file it under nuevo shoegazer -slash- dream pop, along the lines of Beach House, who are also really great.
Monday, August 17, 2009
An article of 50 Funny People You Should Be Following On Twitter.
I follow these guys too:
- indefensible Radiohead are proof that white people can even take the fun out of being rock stars.
- fireland Dear Gramma, thank you so much for the Tonka truck. It is very fun! Sorry it took me 30 years to write back. Is Heaven scary? Love, Jiggy
- TheRobotDevil Oops, I crapped my pants #shartweek
There's been about 5 "Twitter Tracker" segements, you can watch at The Tonight Show page on Hulu.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
When I was a teenager and complained about being bored, my mom would say "You're only bored because you're boring!" Insult disguised as idiom. I can always turn to it when I have some down-time and no plans. I'm bored. What's wrong with me? Oh right, I'm boring. Damn.
Truth is, I often I worry that I actually am.
Reading quotes about bores inspires me:
- A bore is a man who, when you ask him how he is, tells you. ~Bert Leston Taylor
- Bore: A man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company. ~Gian Vincenzo Gravina
- Some people are so boring that they make you waste an entire day in five minutes. ~Jules Renard
- Everyone is a bore to someone. That is unimportant. The thing to avoid is being a bore to oneself. ~Gerald Brenan
- Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does; that's what makes it so boring. - Edward Gorey
- The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. ~Dorothy Parker
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Friday, August 7, 2009
When I think back over the past year, a few memorable scenes flash by. Not necessarily good ones. If my life were a movie, the past year would best be described as a montage. I got really drunk. I cried. I cut my hair. I moved. I worked. I got drunk. I cried. I worked. I took a trip. I got drunk. I cried... Small scenes blend together over a musical soundtrack, the passing of time merely implied.
I'm not exactly sure what happened to July for example. I really wanted this summer to be a good summer and make up for the misery of the last two, but it hasn't exactly lived up.
I'm waiting for the song to end. When this sad montage fades to black and the real story begins.
Monday, August 3, 2009
Here's a summary:
10. Weezer - "Say It Ain't So" due to the popularity of "Pork and Beans" and Guitar Hero
9. A-Ha - "Take On Me" thanks to the literal video version
8. Blue Oyster Cult - "Don't Fear The Reaper" thanks to SNL's more cowbell skit
7. The Knife's "Heartbeat" thanks to Jose Gonzalez
6. Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" thanks to College Humor's lip sync video (which I'd never seen)
Lip Dub - Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger from amandalynferri on Vimeo.
5. Rush - "YYZ" thanks to Guitar Hero
4. Journey's - "Don't Stop Believing"
3. Hall & Oats - "You Make My Dreams" due to the video mashup with keyboard cat
2. Europe's "The Final Countdown" thanks to Arrested Development
1. Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" - RICKROLL!