When I was a teenager and complained about being bored, my mom would say "You're only bored because you're boring!" Insult disguised as idiom. I can always turn to it when I have some down-time and no plans. I'm bored. What's wrong with me? Oh right, I'm boring. Damn.
Truth is, I often I worry that I actually am.
Reading quotes about bores inspires me:
- A bore is a man who, when you ask him how he is, tells you. ~Bert Leston Taylor
- Bore: A man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company. ~Gian Vincenzo Gravina
- Some people are so boring that they make you waste an entire day in five minutes. ~Jules Renard
- Everyone is a bore to someone. That is unimportant. The thing to avoid is being a bore to oneself. ~Gerald Brenan
- Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does; that's what makes it so boring. - Edward Gorey
- The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. ~Dorothy Parker