Saturday, March 20, 2010

Girls on bikes


This picture makes me want to start an all-girls bicycle gang. So cute!

Some friends and I were discussing to-do lists. Not the errands kind, not the men I want to sleep with kind, but the life kind. "My life would be happier if or when I finally get around to doing the following things..." I said it before, but there's something about actually writing it down. It finds ways to manifest.

One of the things on my life to-do list for the past year or two was getting a bike. I loved the idea of riding around downtown, biking to bars or the beach on the weekends, no helmut, just a total badass. The following reasons kept me hesitant: they cost money, I work too much and don't have time, I don't know what kind to get, I have no one to ride with, I'm afraid of being hit by a car. Etc. I'm really good at excuses. But the universe wanted me on a bike after all. I became good friends with a girl who biked and was looking for someone to bike with. And then I found a bike in my garage (courtesy old roommate), and a few days later, we found another bike on the side of the road with a sign on it, saying "free." Bikes everywhere. Thanks, Universe!

So far I'm really enjoying riding around, even if it's just on the weekends. I'm still afraid of getting hit by a car, but lately I'm trying to force myself into situations that seem scary at first. With no risk, there's no reward, right?

Every time I'm riding around, I think of the bicycle guy from "Singles." Remember him? "I like the way the world looks from a bicycle." If you haven't seen this movie recently, Netflix that shit! It's so good!



Love that Paul Westerberg song!

No comments: