Tuesday, May 25, 2010

No, thanks.

I don't get the Wink.  What is it exactly? Is it just a "Hey, you're cute, but I'm not interested enough to put in any effort?" Or is it a "Hey, you're cute and I want to talk to you, but I can't think of anything to say in a message that might promote an actual conversation because I'm kinda socially retarded?"

The issue has been raised at the OKcupid forums, to wink or not to wink.  The consensus seems to believe winks are a lame way to contact someone.  This comment explains it nicely:
  • I ignore winks 99% of the time, because even if I reply to them with one word, I already put in way more effort into the conversation than the person who just clicked a button. It screams "boring" and "lazy" to me.
Although one person chimed in with something good to say:
  • Winking is good. It saves you time from writing stuff to someone who may not be interested at all. If they wink back then start the discussion.

These poor guys winked at me within hours of posting my Match.com profile. Sadly, they will only get ice cold silence in return.

No comments: