Thursday, March 24, 2011

More picks from SXSW

Wild Flag
This female group, half of whom are former members of Sleater-Kinney (you might recognize Carrie Brownstein from "Portlandia") played the NPR day showcase at The Parish.  They killed it!  Only souvenir I got myself at SXSW was a Wild Flag tee-shirt.


Joy Formidable
None of us had heard of them when we saw them play just after Wild Flag at the NPR showcase.  I was impressed.  While they were playing, our friends kept turning around and asking "What was their name again?"  Not exactly a catchy band name but they have a great sound.  I would definitely play them on my radio show.



The Naked and Famous
They played a free daytime showcase at Emo's, on a really warm day.  I was ready to leave the venue to get some fresh air and food but my cousin talked me into staying to see this band from New Zealand.  I'm glad I did!  They were fun and upbeat.  They sounded a lot like MGMT at times, but that's okay.  Sometimes pop music doesn't have to be reinventing anything as long as it sounds good and makes you want to move a little.



Sondre Lerche
I wrote about him before.  He's great.  I described him to my cousin as a "a straight, Norwegian version of Rufus Wainwright."  Great singer and guitar player, and totally adorable.  He played the Central Presbyterian church with a full band and played all new songs.  Everything sounded GREAT.  I'm looking forward to his new album coming out!

No comments: