Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How To Dress Well

What if there's no such thing as "good" and "bad" music, and it's all about whether you like it or not?

Obviously there is such thing as BAD music.  But I'm talking about the gray, in-between areas.  Guilty pleasure territory.  Lots of people love pop music, for example.  I don't like a lot of it, blame years of being a college radio DJ, but just because I find it simple and formulaic doesn't necessarily mean it's bad music.  If that's all you listened to, maybe I'd think you have a bad taste in music, but maybe you don't know any better.  Who cares?

There's this song, "Ready for the World" by a band called How To Dress Well.  I really like this song.  I guess I'd describe it as kinda trancy electronic, which isn't a genre I spend a lot of time listening to.  Still, I get nervous about liking this.  Is it good?  Does it sound too 1990s?  Is it simple and formulaic and I just don't know any better?  Would my electro friends disapprove?

Does it even matter?  I still like the song.




Luckily Pitchfork gave this album, Love Remains, a score of 8.7/10.  So, finally (unfortunately?), I feel justified.

No comments: