Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dating, Breaking up, & Getting Engaged

Enjoyed this article: I’m Engaged! What I Learned From Twenty Years of Dating from Jen Dziura.  Just a short excerpt:
...There you are, hopefully integrating book collections and tossing your collective extra copy of Outliers or the Harry Potter series or Infinite Jest. Or maybe tucking your nostalgia-imbued childhood edition of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy on a back shelf just in case…And then the breakup comes and someone’s putting books in boxes and they always take your Camille Paglia and leave behind their Learn Japanese in 30 Days, and you keep looking at it quizzically, like, “Well, maybe I really will want to learn Japanese.”
You can lose so much fucking time over this stuff.
--via Gloss via Gala Darling



Gah, the bookshelf thing is so true!  Also music collections.  I used to get so mad whenever I'd notice an album of mine that went missing post-breakup.  (Not anymore though, I never listen to cds.)

Pretty sure I'm going read more of Dziura's articles, including:

3 comments:

Adam said...

A few years after a breakup (at least 2 or 3), I had to boot up an old computer to try to find some ancient files. In the drive I found a music cd belonging to my ex that she had hounded me about for months before finally chalking it up as lost.


I never did tell her that I finally found it.

KK PhD said...

Haha, that's awesome.

KK PhD said...

Haha, that's awesome.