Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"When I get compared to artists like José González or Bon Iver, I can't help but think, 'I've been doing this since they were in third grade.'"

Mark Kozelek, as Sun Kil Moon, is slated to release a new album on May 29, called Among the Leaves on his own label, Caldo Verde Records.

This interview with Pitchfork about his new album and growing older is pretty great.

"Sunshine in Chicago" from 2012's Among the Leaves


Favorite line from this song: "My band played here a lot in the 90's when we had lots of female fans and fuck they all were cute.  Now I just sign posters for guys in tennis shoes."  Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Kozelek's the former lead singer of Red House Painters, which formed in 1989.  He's been releasing albums solo as Sun Kil Moon since 2002.  One of my favorite albums is Tiny Cities, which is solely compromised of covers of Modest Mouse songs.  He has such an amazing, distinctive voice that songs sound completely different.

"Ocean Breathes Salty" from 2005's Tiny Cities


I also really want to see this "Mark Kozelek: On Tour" documentary.  

No comments: