Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Young Marble Giants

I swore I posted about this band before because I played them so often on my former radio show.  Turns out I hadn't!


Young Marble Giants were a three-piece post-punk band from Wales.  They were only together between 1978 and 1980 and released one album, "Colossal Youth" on Rough Trade Records.  IT'S GREAT.  Stripped down and minimal: just a drum machine, bass, and guitar, and Alison Statton's introspective vocals.  Their sound is unique yet is so timeless.  One of the youtube comments said they sounded like a combination of Kraftwerk and Joy Division, which I don't necessarily agree with, but they definitely come from that era of music.  "Colossal Youth" is one of my favorite albums and I'd definitely recommend if you're a fan of The xx.

Fan-made video for the track "Choci Loni"



Short set on Peel Session in 1980.  Songs include: "Searching for Mr. Right," "Posed by Models," "N.I.T.A.," "Final Days," and "Brand New Life"


No comments: