Monday, July 5, 2010

Book smart but socially retarded

This is a great article posted in the Huffington Post last year: Why The Smartest People Have The Toughest Time Dating

Dr. Alex Benzer, who also wrote Tao of Dating, explains why overly-educated people aren't necessarily adept at romantic relationships. "In fact, the smarter you are, the more clueless you will be, and the more problems you're going to have in your dating life," he writes.  I'm thinking to myself, "No shit."  Have you even met an engineering student?

It may be understatement to say I 'identify' with his list of reasons why smart people are romantically unskilled.  But It makes me feel a little better to think that the reason I'm so retarded around men is NOT because I'm an inadequate lover or a failure, but rather, because I have achieved so much else in life.

I constantly wonder if I should remove the PhD lingo from my online dating profile.  I feel like 'grad student' doesn't sound so bad, but 'PhD' might be especially intimidating.  Especially a PhD in engineering.  Snooze alert! Who has two thumbs and advanced to candidacy? ...Fellas? Anyone?

No comments: