Sunday, July 25, 2010

Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum

This week I've been housesitting for a friend who has a cute place in the San Roque area of Santa Barbara.  Great big kitchen, big yard, perfect for a BBQ!  So I hosted a big shindig last night, which morphed into a going away party for another friend of mine.  It was a cool mix of people.  Every time I host a party I'm reminded of how much I love hosting parties.  Selecting music, planning the menu, arranging the appetizer spreads, even cleaning up the next day.

Among the empties I found this morning was a bottle of Kraken Rum.  I love the logo & bottle a lot!



After my trip to Puerto Rico last year I've been more fond of rum drinks.  We had a mojito station at the party and people took turns bartending.  I wrote out a pretty standard recipe from Webtender for people to follow, but there were several modifications including using champagne instead of club soda, and adding muddled peaches.  I probably spent most of the night picking mint leaves out of my teeth, but it was worth it.
Ingredients:
2-3 oz Light rum, Juice of 1 Lime (1 oz), 2 tsp Sugar, 2-4 Mint sprigs, Soda water
Mixing instructions:
Lightly muddle the mint and sugar with a splash of soda water in a mixing glass until the sugar dissolve and you smell the mint. Squeeze the lime into the glass, add rum and shake with ice. Strain over cracked ice in a highball glass. Top with soda water, garnish with mint sprig and serve.

No comments: